PREPARING FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT
Making the most of your doctor visit
You can help your health professional diagnose and treat your child's constipation if you come prepared to answer the following questions:
- When did the constipation begin?
- How often does your child normally have a bowel movement?
- Are the stools hard or soft?
- Does your child have a history of constipation?
- Has prevention or home treatment helped relieve the constipation?
- If your child has been toilet-trained, has he or she had any leakage of partially formed or liquid stool that has stained his or her underwear?
- Has your child had a recent change in diet, daily routine, or environment?
- Has your child recently started taking a new prescription or nonprescription medication?
- Are you giving your child any new herbal remedies or vitamins?
- Has your child been under any added stress recently?
- Does your child have any health risks?