Planning becomes more important with the seriousness of the situation. Use these straightforward guidelines to make an often stressful and scary situation a lot easier.
REPARE FOR THE EMERGENCY ROOM
- If possible, call ahead to let emergency room staff know you are coming.
- Call your doctor, if possible. He or she may meet you at the emergency room or call in important information.
- If you think you may have to wait to be seen by a doctor, take the checklists below and your medical records with you. While you are waiting you can:
- Use the Self-Care Checklist to help you think through the problem and report symptoms to the doctor.
- Use the Ask-the-Doctor Checklist to organize questions for the doctor.
- Use your home medical records to prepare to discuss your medications, past test results, or treatments. Information about your allergies, medications, and health conditions may be critical.