Important instructions for using your metered dose inhaler
PROPER USE OF METERED DOSE INHALERS (MDIS)
- Remove the cap and shake the inhaler to mix the contents.
- Breathe out to exhale as much air as you can.
- Tilt your head back.
- Put the inhaler mouthpiece in your mouth, keeping your tongue flat; OR: Hold the inhaler upright 2-4 cm from your mouth.
- Breathe in slowly and deeply and immediately depress the canister. Continue to breathe in slowly for 5-10 seconds.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds, or as long as is comfortable.
- Breathe out slowly.
- If more than one puff is prescribed, wait one minute and then repeat the procedure.
If you have trouble coordinating the routine of spraying and inhaling, your doctor may recommend a holding chamber: a hollow plastic container with a one-way valve, like an Aerochamber® or Vent-a-haler®.
CARE OF AN INHALER
Keep the inhaler clean. Once a week, remove the medication canister from the plastic casing and wash the casing in warm, soapy water. When the casing is dry, replace the medication canister in the casing and place the cap on the mouthpiece. Ensure the hole is clear. Check the expiry date. Check to see how much medication is in the inhaler.